Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Leaving Verizon.


        Well I finally did it, I've been a Verizon subscriber since I first had a cell phone. Whether that be on my own account or with my parents family plan. It wasn't the easiest decision in my life, in upstate NY nothing gets coverage quite like Verizon. Everyone and their mother has Verizon. Especially back in my home town, a tiny little place called Spencer with a population of about 1000, you had no choice but Verizon if you actually wanted to make calls. But with my recent move to Saratoga Springs, my coverage has changed dramatically.

        First step was to figure out which would be financially best. I was spending $185 a month at verizon for 3 lines. 2 with unlimited data, and one that was just used as a dumb line to upgrade through so I could keep our unlimited. That was what made it the hardest decision, I had 2 lines with unlimited, you don't see that very often anymore. The only thing was, it's wasn't worth the cost. Some months I would use up to 11 or 12 gigs of data, but most often I stayed around 3. This was mainly with me deliberately not using wifi, so I figured if I just turned on wifi every now and again I could easily keep it under 2 gigs and go to any carrier I wanted. 

        When I came right down to it, T-Mobile offered by far the cheapest option, and since I work right here in town and have consistent coverage it was an easy choice. For about $100 a month, I get unlimited talk, text, and data for 2 lines. As far as coverage goes, I get voice pretty much everywhere, but data is a little shotty. I get 4G LTE at my house, which is awesome, and it's holds decently around the town. The fact that I'm not on a contract was a huge plus, and with two financing plans on the account, it still clocks in under $140 and is cheaper than anything else that would offer similar offerings. And just for the sake of saying it, I'm not interested in prepaid of any kind. So far I am very happy with everthing they offer, customer service is great, and my coverage is leaps and bounds better than I anticipated. 

        My wife went with an LG G2, which is an amazing device that I will be writing up a post about later. I also went with the G2 at first, but once the Nexus 5 info started rolling a little bit more I returned the device and decided to wait. I am now currently staring at the tracking page of UPS and waiting for it to say "out for delivery". It will be here on tomorrow and I am freaking out in anticipation. Needless to say I will be writing a major post about it as soon as I get my hands on it. Lastly one of the biggest upsides to being on T-Mobile is that I can bring nearly any unlocked device onto my account, which will hopefully turn into something huge for me since my goal is to review as many devices as possible. Needless to say I am on the T-Mobile bandwagon now and look forward to anything else they bring in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment